Friday, December 19, 2008

AFTERNOON BITE BRINGS UPRIVER BRIGHT 13# HEN

After hooking a beaut' the day before... I couldn't resist another trip to the honey hole.

I got to the bar at 0830 hours and spent the next 10 minutes trying to tie a knot. The culprit was a bad interlock swivel with a burr in its ring... you know the type... no matter what kind of knot you tie, how perfectly you lay the wraps nor how carefully you cinch it down... the '30#'s-of-pull' test breaks the knot right at the top of the swivel...

Damn I'm tired just writing about it and also just tired so hell with the long-winded journey; here it is in a nutshell:

Found a good swivel.

Tied up the spoon.

Chris (only other REAL spoon guy I know on the river) comes down.

We talk.

He goes up-bar.

I pound the deep water for nada.

Chris leaves.

I go up and fish roe.

Tap, tap, tappy fishies, lil residents not so picky about their holding water (aint as much of them to hold...) very picky about your roe presentation, lil bastards@!

Hook/land/shake some a' the lil grunts.

Move back down.

Meet up with a toothless guy plunking. Camo, Ugly Stick, orange rod tip, pyramid sinker, 6/0 hook, bag of bubble gum roe he found on the bank... looks like old tennis shoe rubber... globs the size of a pool balls, dripping white like the fungus on a spent salmon hen's nose...

Enter flyguy.

POLITE flyguy... asks permission to fish the run 50 yards up from the point we're at.

Sure, wish more flyguys were like that... I told him about the fish I put back upriver...

Nothing too exciting... This type...





Weekday-weekend warrior and I shoot the shit. Nice guy. He heads across the river.

Alone again.

Sun is obscured by clouds.

Tropical storm front comes in.

Lighting is perfect for photography and rolling spoons.

2/5 oz. gold BCS. <- If it aint broke, don't fix it and it worked the day before.

Not long after... right place/time.

DIME TIME!

Sluggish pig of a hen.

No acrobatics but I'll take what I can get...

4-5 years ago, the hatchery must have hired PETA employees or Snooty (100% C&R) anglers to clip the adipose fins = nub, flap, spots, graspable but unmistakably-shaved vestigial appendages (Remember those big, long stupid words in bio class? Not sure why I do but I do) at the same exact angle as the lapped dorsal fin. The fight (or lack thereof...) was the first tell-tale sign.

Pity that many anglers and even some CDFG wardens don't know the difference.

31" x 18" x 13#.

Classic-corner hookset.

Damn I love spoons@!

Light load, less tackle, no mess, mostly bigger/bolder/brighter fish, vicious grabs 85% of the time or I'm missing more of the softer ones than I know.

Bullshit... world's full of it.

I'm full of it.

I digress.

I'm tired.

Photos.

ENJOY~









DAMN YOU'RE SHARP!

YES, I am a freakin' poser, photo-whore paparazzi... and yes I did take photos (live first) and then swapped the spoon placement in the jaws to get the other side... The eyes are always a DEAD giveaway... I love fish, I release fish, I honor and respect fish but I also kill fish.

Never on your water, in your hole, never wild... regardless of regs and when a hatchery fish kicks my ass real good before I land her, her genes go back in the pool whether my roe freezer's empty or full...



Looking forward to deploying my new RVRFSHR gear sent courtesy of Todd Ripley and Joe Hart. Love those guys... real guys, right attitudes, good hearts, hardcore fisherman, nice hardware. LOVE the hammered 50/50 and 3/8 is a great compromise between 1/4 and 2/5. That 1/8th. oz. over the one and the 1/16th. oz. under the other just might be the racer's edge... THANKS!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

No comments: