Friday, April 3, 2009

Pretty in Pink~The PMESL Strikes Again@!

Yah this is old hat considering I've taken a road trip to Oregon, fished 10 different spots for three different species on 4 different bodies of water and lost a monster striper since this outing 2 weeks ago...

I set out on this day to revisit one of my fave' haunts downriver and see if I could conjure up one of those spring time steelie-heads.

Having had my truck broken into on two almost consecutive trips... I wasn't all that excited about parking in the access lot so I instead parked in the hood and walked the extra 1/4 mile in to the river.

Spring was definitely in the air and I nearly broke a sweat under the weight and tension of neoprene waders and my usual pack full of shit. not shit, stuff... mostly stuff which I'd never take out much less use... but one must always be prepared.

I passed this tree along the way and it stood out with its bold PINK-ness... could be a sign?



On the river, I threw roe and worms and spoons and even a spinner or two but what finally got bit was the pink on pink Poor Man's Egg Sucking Leech.





The whole concept is a sham... There is no such thing. Leeches attach to organisms with a reasonable amount of blood to sustain their parasitic/metabolic needs... Eggs while in the skein, get their O2 dissolved in blood from their mom's ovarian arteries. When they eye out and develop an embryonic sac they get blood and nutrients from it. But a single egg, in its early developmental stages, has scarcely enough blood to sustain itself much less feed something 10 times larger than itself...

Sometimes shit just works with no rhyme nor reason and without scientific justice.





It didn't work THAT good as I managed only the one hen and a smolt before leaving the river.



It was nice to get out and to be shown by a couple fish that the PMESL is not just a fluke (pun intended).

No comments: