Monday, March 31, 2008

Fast Folsom Fix~Pirates And Pequena Pillagery

Saturday no fishing for me as I was performing music at a memorial service.

Emphasis was on celebrating her life as opposed to mourning her death.

I got away Sunday feeling a bit somber and serene and needed a lil pick me up so headed over to the Granite Bay boat launch area to try for my first Folsom bass of the season.

I arrived at 1830 and was greeted by pirates from the far southeast. They spoke to me.



Fear not ye wind for she blows to keep our girls under sail...



If'n yer not fittin to cast yer lines into her, narry a fisherman nye a sailor shall ye call yerself lad.

What say you vessel-less landlubber? Avast ye and turnabout fer yonder hills?



er brace ye wind upon your face, headstrong, and be well and be off with ya?



of course, I chose option B

My first cast yielded a small spot which I fought briefly and lost in a mid air shake and spit.

I moved 20 feet or so to another rocky point and hooked a 4+# smallmouth which I also farmed.

It was cool to feel that pressure bite throb and subsequent smack, smack zip that I hadn't felt since last spring... but damn pirates musta' bewitched me with ye olde farmer's curse...

Despair not, I carried on and kept working the shoreline.

Third time was a charm, I actually got a solid hookset.

Small fish but a fish. I snapped a pic of the lil spot and released her.



In the next 15 minutes I hooked and lost 2 more and had several taps that I didn't respond to fast enough.

The fish aren't in ravage mode yet, and are still making you guess if they're there most of the time... Likely a combination of lake level, temperature, and barometric pressure all a bit on the low side for this time of year...

I managed to C&R one little smallmouth before leaving the land of pirates and pequena pillagers...





Next time, I'll bring the float tube and some plugs.

M

No comments: